Friday 13 May 2011

Recycling crafty style!

I've been thinking more lately about my own impact on the environment, and as well as changing some of the things that I eat I'm also trying to become more aware of the products around me that go to waste that I can use - now I know that most of you will have a little (or maybe big!) pile of bits and bobs that you rescued from going in the rubbish bin because you had a thought that you might be able to do something with it sometime... I have a box full of things myself!

Lately I have been collecting train tickets and a few Starbucks cup holders on my travels. I spend more time on the train now commuting and when I get a coffee, it's 'to-go' rather than having in the store, so gradually these things have been collecting in my bag. This happens a lot with me in general because I am really bad at sorting things out on a regular basis!

So here are the raw materials:-

I started by coating everything at least twice in white gesso to cover the patterned surface and then used blue and pink Dylusions shades to coat the 5 tickets and the cup-holder, blue on one side and pink on the other. I stamped images on the tickets and cup-holder, using flourish stamps and some main images in black StazOn and green Peeled Paint Distress Ink. I embellished with gold Stickles and also added borders in gold ink to the cards.
I painted an ATC blank purple and folded it in half to slot inside the cupholder so that it would stop the painted cards falling right through.
So why not take a look and see what you can recycle into your crafty stash? Would love to hear about the sorts of things you keep and what you did/intend to do with them :)

Gayle xx

No comments: